Welcome to the Virginia Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program (CSIIP)
According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, "STEM jobs - those requiring a science, technology, engineering, or math-related degree - not only account for more than 10% of jobs in the United States; many of them pay wages close to double the U.S. average." [Forbes, July 23, 2014]
In response to the increasing demand for skilled Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) workers in Virginia, the Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) has created the Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program (CSIIP). CSIIP links companies and students in STEM, including but not limited to high-need areas such as Information Technology, Information Security, Big Data, Data Analytics, Cybersecurity. We invite companies offering paid opportunities for STEM interns majoring in these important areas to register today.
New to CSIIP - Internship Opportunities for Three Technical Certification Areas
CSIIP opportunities have traditionally been offered to 2-year and 4-year degree seeking candidates. Although degreed individuals remain very much in demand, in today's workforce arena, there is also a strong need for individuals with technical certifications who may not be pursuing a traditional degree. This new area is a stepping stone torward addressing that need beginning with the three areas below.
- Aviation Maintenance Opportunities in partnership with the Aviation Institute of Maintenance
- Cybersecurity Opportunities in partnership with the Hampton Roads Cybersecurity Alliance
- Mechatronics Certification Opportunities in partnership with the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
At no cost to students or employers:
- CSIIP links undergraduate STEM students with companies offering paid STEM internship positions throughout Virginia.
- CSIIP offers a one-stop, centralized, online internship application system
- CSIIP provides Virginia's undergraduate STEM majors the ability to search and apply for STEM-related (summer/fall/spring) paid internship opportunities and enables registered Virginia-based companies to search our database of prescreened student applications for specific skills, experience, educational background, interests and desired work locations to find the best possible candidates for their internships.
- CSIIP staff will also assist in identifying STEM students who will meet your company's/organization's internship needs.
- CSIIP interns and companies are recognized by the Governor for their participation.
It's that simple. And it costs you nothing to utilize this service!
To start the process, click here if you are an undergraduate STEM major or a student pursuing one of the three technical certifications above.
Click here if you are a STEM-related, Virginia-based employer.
Important Program Highlights
Cybersecurity webcast series coming soon.
Funding for this service is provided by the Commonwealth of Virginia.